As a child growing up in New Jersey – and having a mutt for a dad (½ German, ½ Irish), St. Patrick’s Day in our household was always a monumental and memorable occasion. Preparations started weeks in advance. Some critical staples and guidelines included:
- Costume – especially a good hat
- Do not wear red or orange (unless, of course, you’re looking for a fight)
- A pocket leprechaun and a 3-leaf clover
- Food and more food – Irish Soda bread, corned beef and cabbage, porter cake, etc.
- Music and dance – LOTS of it!!
After viewing many sites and trying to unfold the “real” story and history (from history.com vs. Wikipedia.com, of course)…one has to wonder whether the Hallmark card company has it right – simply create (and honor) a “holiday” and honor an icon “just because” it’s a wonderful excuse to commune, party and enjoy ourselves?
Crafted, researched and written by: |LIZ CARLOCK
The Write Resources, LLC™
© 2014 EM Carlock